COVID-19: Advice for transplant patients
We understand that this is a very worrying time for those awaiting or having an organ transplant. The safety of organ donation and transplantation is our priority.
Every potential organ donor is being tested for coronavirus and if someone has died from coronavirus they will not be able to donate.
There is no known transmission of coronavirus through organ donation in the UK. However, as patients who need a transplant have to be immunosuppressed, any risks need to be minimised as much as possible.
Coronavirus and organ transplantation
Frequently asked questions
1. Follow the latest advice from Public Health England and the Department of Health and Social Care
2. Read our joint statement with the British Transplant Society on COVID-19 vaccination for transplant recipients and patients waiting for a transplant.
3. Contact your transplant centre if you have questions about an upcoming transplant or need advice
4. Find out more about coronavirus vaccine - access vaccine questions and answers for clinicians and patients
5. Find out about screening and assessment for coronavirus Read our policy on assessment and screening in organ donors and recipients
6. Information on what may be the best ways to protect ourselves against COVID-19 Study visualising expert estimates of COVID-19 transmission