Pancreas transplant surgery
Find out what happens during the transplant operation
- Pancreas transplant surgery by itself takes 2-4 hours
- Simultaneous pancreas and kidney (SPK) transplant surgery takes 4-8 hours or more
- You will be put to sleep under a general anaesthetic while the transplant takes place
- There are many different ways that a pancreas can be transplanted
- Your surgeon will explain their preferred technique
How is pancreas transplant surgery performed?
There are many different ways that a pancreas can be transplanted. The surgical team caring for you will explain their preferred technique, and which would be best for you. Most of the time, the pancreas is placed within your tummy (abdomen). Your own pancreas does not need to be removed.