We support patients, donors and their families throughout the donation and transplantation process
We are responsible for:
- Patient safety - fair, unbiased and compassionate matching and allocating of donated organs, tissue and stem cells
- Specialist support - dedicated clinical nurses and 24 hour support teams
- Community awareness - our campaign teams work tirelessly across the UK to encourage donations and enable us to offer more transplants
Organ donation and transplantation
We aim to match world-class performance in organ donation and transplantation, and reduce the number of people dying on the organ transplant waiting list.
Stem cell transplants
We provide expert support for half of the stem cell transplants (also know as bone marrow transplants) performed on patients in the UK each year.
Tissue and eye services
We operate the UK's biggest tissue bank and are the largest not-for-profit organisation supplying the NHS with human tissue.
Research and clinical
Innovative research helps us improve our services to patients, donors and their families, and develop new products and technologies.
Bone Marrow Registry
We run the Bone Marrow Registry and work with the Anthony Nolan charity to provide a single point of access for UK stem cell transplants.
Organ donation law has changed
England moved to an 'opt out' system on 20 May 2020
3 ways we're improving our service
- Specialist nurses to support donor families and dedicated clinical leads in hospitals
- Dedicated organ retrieval teams serving the UK, 24 hours a day, so crucial donations get to patients on time
- Formation of regional collaboratives to promote organ donation and support service improvement
Our organ donation strategy
This strategy sets out a ten‑year vision for organ donation and transplantation in the United Kingdom.
The more people who consent to donate, the more lives we can save.