The organ donor card
All you need to know about the organ donor card
Facts about the Organ Donor Card
• An Organ Donor Card is a great way to show you’re committed to saving lives.
• You can carry your card in your purse or wallet as a symbol of your decision to help others.
• However, you don’t need to carry an Organ Donor Card for your organs to be donated though as medical staff will always consult the NHS Organ Donor Register if your organs could be used to help others when you die.
• Before the removal of organs takes place, NHS Blood and Transplant would ask your family to support your decision to donate and to provide important information about you.
Share your decision
• If you are signed up as a donor and have a donor card, please remember to tell your family and make clear to them that you want them to help honour your decision if you can donate when you die. Ask them if they want to be organ donors too.
• You can use your donor card to encourage others to sign up as organ donors. Many people say #YesIDonate by sharing pictures of themselves proudly holding their card on social media. It’s something quick and easy you can do to tell your family and friends that you want to donate your organs while helping to spread the word about the importance of organ donation.
Who receives a donor card?
We send an Organ Donor Card to everybody who registers to donate for the first time. If you amend your details or re-register we don’t send you a new donor card.
Some people who have signed up as donors may never have received an Organ Donor Card as they first registered before we started sending out a card to people who registered for the first time.
Ordering a replacement card
If you have mislaid your donor card and would like a replacement, you can:
- Text or Whatsapp friends and family to let them know you wish to donate your organs after death, and show your support for organ donation.
- Print your own card and fill it out.
- Download a wallpaper for your smartphone, and show your support for organ donation wherever you are.
Welsh versions of these downloads are also available, and can be accessed via the links above.
Alternatively, you may also request a replacement card by contacting the Organ Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23.