NHSBT is a Special Health Authority in the NHS with responsibility for optimising the supply of blood, organs, and tissues and raising the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of blood and transplant services.
NHSBT is responsible for:
- encouraging people to donate organs, blood and tissues
- optimising the safety and supply of blood, organs and tissues
- helping to raise the quality, effectiveness and clinical outcomes of blood and transplant services
- providing expert advice to other NHS organisations, the Department of Health and devolved administrations
- providing advice and support to health services in other countries
- commissioning and conducting research and development
- implementing relevant EU statutory frameworks and guidance
NHSBT: Saving and Improving Lives
Read about our work and how it contributes to supporting the NHS and saving and improving the lives of patients.